Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Tuesday, June 27

Acapulco Chicken


Another crummy picture... I'm sorry! I took like 8 and that was seriously the best!

Anyways, Dave and I have decided we need to loose a little weight... especially after my recent adventures in French influenced cooking, and the fact that our home gym is out of service due to reflooring. So for a couple of weeks we're gonna try to steer clear of fat and lots of carbs. I know... so sad.

So I was digging around allrecipes and found this little gem that looked promising, especially since I had just about all the ingredients in stock. =)

I adjusted it a little, added some tomato paste, corn and extra chili powder, cumin, and cayenne.


INGREDIENTS:

* 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
* 2 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 2 tsp cayenne
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used avocado oil, its better for you)
* 1 chopped green bell pepper
* 1 cup corn
* 1/2 chopped onion
* 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
* 1 large tomato, cut into chunks
* 4 tbsp tomato paste
* 10 drops hot pepper sauce (I used Cholula)

METHOD:

1. Season chicken with 1/2 tablespoon chile powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and saute seasoned chicken for 3 to 4 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
2. In same skillet, stir fry bell pepper and onion until soft. Add jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, remaining 1/2 tablespoon chile powder and hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring, for an additional 3 to 5 minutes; add chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes more.

We had this with some red beans, mashed avocado and a dollop of sour cream.

I imagine this would ROCK rolled up in some warm tortillas... mmmmm =)

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Eley De Bono said...

You got that warm tortilla thing right but I understand about the trimming down thing, too. I've been watching our carbs this week.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Me too, but I was very bad tonight :(
I had the munchies. Oh well there's always tommorrow.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home