Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Thursday, June 8

Cinnamon Coconut Oatmeal Cookies



These cookies rock. These cookies rock in a very uber sort of way.

Ever since I was little.... okay... maybe "little" isnt a good word for it... as that hasnt changed any.... Lets start again..

Ever since I was a kid, I've been trying to rediscover the cookie that a girls mom up the street made. She called them Snickerdoodles, but they werent the same as your standard soft, fluffy, light Snickerdoodle. These were almost wafer thin... crispy... cinnamony!! Just simply wonderful. I've never found a cookie like them since.

I found this recipe not intending to recreate the above mentioned cookie.. but was trying to make use of the rest of the whole oatmeal and shredded coconut we had laying around in the cabinet taking up space. I found this one on Allrecipes... and followed some of the reviewers comments to add cinnamon. I added lots, and also substituted margarine for shortening cause I didnt have any.. and added LOTS of cinnamon. I like cinnamon, why be stingey? Mind you these arent exactly the same as the cookies I remember from my childhood.. but the flavor and texture is the closest I've ever found.

So here is what my recipe ended up being like... the original is here

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup margarine
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup flaked coconut
* 2 teaspoon baking powder
* 2 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 cups rolled oats
* 2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon cream of tartar

METHOD

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a medium mixing bowl cream shortening, butter, sugars & spices. Add eggs and vanilla until blended. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, withholding the coconut until all other dry ingredients are blended. Add coconut.

4. Combine wet and dry ingredients until moist. Drop on greased cookie sheet on wax paper about 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. I like them a little on the burnt side.

I saved half the dough in the freezer and baked the rest later... they turned out just fine as well. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home