Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Friday, May 12

Crab & Corn Chowder, Round 1



Last night was round 1 of me trying to recreate the delish crab and corn chowder we had at Cafe Margeux a week ago. This was my first time ever making chowder, and I learned quickly that getting the consistency right isn't as easy as I thought! This one turned out way more watery than the creamy concoction they served us at Margeux... but very much like the photo in Julia's book (recipe wasnt far off from hers either- another from epicurious).. so I guess its a matter of taste.. and I prefer the thick creamy kind. So I'm gonna have to have another go at this one eventually, I tried adding a roux when I realized it wasnt thickening up... but I imagine I would have had to have made a massive amount of it to make a difference, because the bit I added (maybe half a cup).. didnt make a hill of beans! I may just email Cafe Margeux and ask them if they'd be willing to share the recipe... since its not on their regular menu... one can hope! I mean... Meg O'Malley's.. the Irish place in town, had no problem telling us where they get their bangers!

Next time I wont use near as much bacon.. as the flavor is overpowering... I also fried up some onion slices as garnish...

Anyways, on with the recipe!

INGREDIENTS

6 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, diced
2 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
3 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 pound fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 pound fresh crabmeat, coarsely flaked or chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
4 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning


DIRECTIONS

Sauté bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons bacon fat. Add onion to drippings in saucepan and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and stir until coated. Add clam juice; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

Add cream, corn, crab, fresh thyme, old bay and half of bacon; cook uncovered until potatoes and corn are tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle chowder equally into 6 bowls. Garnish with remaining bacon and enjoy!.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home