Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Tuesday, December 12

Meatloaf Meatloaf Double Beatloaf


There is a fellow at work... and all we ever talk about is what we cook... or what we've eaten... and we both look at eachother in wonder and ask, "How is it you dont weigh 300 pounds?"

So he told me that last night, he made a meatloaf. I honestly couldnt tell you the last time... if ever... I've craved meatloaf. But as he described his jalepeno infused meaty masterpiece... I was suddenly struck with inspiration.

Mind you, I've never made a meatloaf on my own... and the last time I was near one was probably when I was a kid and my mom passed the "dirty work" of mixing everything together to me. So I needed a good recipe... and who better to turn to than good ol' Alton Brown?

I've decided Alton Brown is the food God. I am going to make a little altar to him and hang it over the stove... sort of like the Chinese kitchen God.

Dave told me it was "the best meatloaf he's ever had".... okay well granted he says he's only ever had meatloaf once before... EVER.


Log o meat.

But I agreed... it was also the best meatloaf I've ever had as well (sorry mom!!). Some of the methods seemed strange to me... first there seemed to be a HUGE amount of veggie vs meat going into it... but omg it worked. I was also confused reading the recipe that it wasnt baked in a loaf pan. It took a little bit of online investigating to figure out why.. and the reason is to keep the loaf from stewing in its own juices. Dry heat = good.

I wouldnt change a thing about this recipe. Nada. It was that good.

Alton Brown's Meatloaf

INGREDIENTS

6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 egg

For the glaze:
1/2 cup catsup
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey


METHOD

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a special meatloaf pan that allows the drippings to go to the bottom of the pans.

8:37 PM  
Blogger wheresmymind said...

I watched the Christmas Story the other night!!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'm not even sure if I've ever had real meatloaf. I think my parents bought a shop made one once years ago, but that doesn't really count does it?

That combination of flavours looks really good. Definitely going on my list of must- trys, although that list is about 3 pages long now!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

I've never craved meatloaf either, it was always one of Mom's less-inspired dinners, but when you think about it, it has so many possibilities. Yours looks really good...

2:01 PM  
Blogger *Chef Marina* said...

I heart Alton! I've actually gotten Mark hooked on Good Eats hahaha. This meatloaf looks sooo good, now I think I'm going to have to make one! Kudos to you :)

8:41 PM  
Blogger maltese parakeet said...

i can confirm that the alton brown meatloaf is one of the best things out there. and, btw, i'm totally stealing your idea and making an alton brown kitchen god.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home