Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Tuesday, December 19

Curried Pumpkin Soup



This is the curry pumpkin soup I have listed on my wedding menu. =) I've made this soup for years now and it always just hits the spot, especially at this time of year. If youre feeling especially adventurous... serve the soup in little individual hollowed out pumpkins.... or serve from one very large pumpkin (might want to line the pumpkin with plastic to prevent leaking!! (learned this one the hard way!!)

This recipe is so rediculously simple.

Although this is most easily made with canned pumpkin.. it works just as well with most pureed squash... particularly butternut! =) MMM!

INGREDIENTS

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 tablespoon curry powder
* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 3 cups chicken broth
* salt & pepper to taste


METHOD

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until onions are transluscent. Add curryand stir until fragrant.

Stir pumpkin, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Puree soup.. or serve chunky style ;-).

Serve with a dallop of sour cream.

10 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Man...looks great! Curry and pumpkin sounds like a power combo

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... I am 100% sure I can say I have never tied anything even remotely like that before!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good timing! There I was wondering what to make for the starter to my (veg-head) parents' Xmas dinner.

I think they'd like that soup... and I've already got a butternut squash I can use.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is simple. Scott would love that.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

merry christmas lea!

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes you all, from Istanbul :)

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes you all, from Istanbul :)
http://recipes.blogcu.com

7:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Would this work well with coconut milk you think?

1:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I made this last night and loved it. I added coconut milk, and some chopped cilantro and dessicated coconut to it for texture/garnish/taste. It really took off and we spooned it over heaping bowls of rice! Yummy!

4:29 AM  
Blogger Lea said...

Awesome!!!! Glad you liked it! Also cool to see a modification to
it.. I would have never thought of giving it a sweet Thai curry kind
of twist! We'll try it! =)

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home