Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Tuesday, May 16

Scones


The other day at Petty's (the local meat market & specialty shop) I picked up a little jar of English double cream. I love this stuff. Especially on scones. But.. I have no scones... this is Florida... most of the people here have never even heard of a scone, not even the American versions of them. So I figured it was a good chance for me to try a recipe out of one of Dave's cook books, "Great British Cooking". He said he had made a few things out of it before, and they were all pretty spot on, so instead of digging through allrecipes and epicurious, trying to distinguish the English scones from the American scone recipes.. I decided to just go with the one, single, scone recipe in his entire book. I am so glad I did, even though the honey threw me off a bit, they ended up tasting every bit as good as any I'd had in the UK... or from the handful of British bakeries whom you can order frozen scones from. My only mistake was that I rolled them too thin, instead of the siggested 1/4 inch thick, I will do 1/2 inch, maybe more, next time.

We enjoyed these last night with a thin spread of butter, strawberry jam, and a big dollop of cream. Yum. The rest are tucked away in the freezer, I doubt they will be there long.

INGREDIENTS


2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
3 ounces butter
1 heaping tbsp honey
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

METHOD

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix all dry ingredients, gently mix in butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Create a well in the center, and add milk and honey. knead on a lightly floured surface until you have a light springy dough.

Roll out to a disc approx 1/2 inch thick, and using a glass, cut out your scones. Place them on a greased and floured surface, and brush the tops lightly with beaten egg.

Bake for 7-10 mins on the top rack of the oven.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made them and they are great! Thanks

Betsy

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home