Baked Potato Chowder
I made this today totally on a whim. Someone on Facebook (evil facebook) mentioned cooking potato soup, and for some reason, it just sounded.... right. Considering we currently have a ton of potatoes, and a bunch of bacon in the freezer.... pretty much every ingredient was laying around and needing to be used up.
It's incredibly rich and heavy.... perfect if you're REALLY hungry... which I wasn't... and ended up putting way more in my bowl than I could even remotely handle. But very tasty none the less!
- 5 baking potatoes
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 5 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese, and Romano cheese, mixed
- 6 ounces sour cream
- 2 chicken bouillon (I use oxo)
- Bake potatoes 1 hour in a 400 degree F oven. Scoop out the inside of the potatoes and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic and green onions, cook until soft. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring until all the milk has been added. Bring heat to medium and keep stirring until the soup mixture starts to get thick.Add bouillon cubes.
- Add the potatoes, salt, ground black pepper, bacon and cheese. Stir well and continue to heat for about 15 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend. Stirring well, mix in the sour cream until well blended with the soup. Serve immediately.