Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Monday, October 2

Okonomiyaki



Dave and I were looking through a Japanese magazine the other day... I am always so fascinated by all the photos of food that some of them have. And while admiring all the exotic looking delicacies, we kept seeing photos of okonomiyaki. So as you can imagine, by the time we were done looking at it, we were both craving some.

We followed the same recipe Shizu gave us again... but this time we used shrimp instead of pork. I have to say it is much better with pork.

I am predicting that okonomiyaki is going to make an appearance in this country withing... eh.. say 10 years. And its gonna be huge. I mean this is just like the ultimate junk/party/hangover food EVER.

I actually took a photo of it this time.

If you ever get the chance... or want to freak out some friends... buy and use kastuobushi (aka dried bonito flakes). It is super thinly shaved dried fish. So fine that the light steam coming off your food will make it wriggle. It was really quite disturbing the first time I saw it. Good times. =)

3 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Beautiful presentation!!!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should really rename this dish to:

ohmygoditsyummy

Could this be the next food craze in 5-years?

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I commented yesterday but it seems to have gone! Weird!

I really want some wriggly fish flakes to scare my wussy friends!

That okonomiyaki looks fab! I don't think I've ever heard of it it before.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home