Copperpots

A Brit, a Yank and a Kitchen

Thursday, October 19

Dave's Beer Ribs



So Sunday I let Dave cook. ;-) And I took crappy pictures.
He decided to make his ribs that he has been telling me all about as long as we've been together... but had yet to make for me! =P

First, he asked me to make a rub for them... I'd never made a rub before so I jumped online a combined a few different ones I found depending on what we had in stock. We were short chili powder so it did prove to be a challenge... but in the end I wound up using: dry mustard (I used dry English mustard), paprika, cayenne, parsley, black pepper, mrs. dash, and salt. We let them sit with the rub in the fridge for about 3 hours...

From here Dave completey took over. First he boiled them in 3 bottles of dark beer (his own brew!)and some water for an hour....



Here they are fresh out of the pot, rub still intact...



Then to the grill they went to cook for another hour... occassionally basting with some BBQ sauce. Unfortunately it was getting late at this point, and here we can see Dave basting in the almost-dark:



They turned out delish, with a bit of a bite from the rub. To accompany them I made some salt baked potatoes... whisk one egg white, covering the potatoes with the whites, then roll the potatoes in kosher salt. Bake for an hour in the oven at 425. These will give you the crispiest crunchiest potatoes ever... though I would suggest scraping a bit of the salt off first before serving.

All in all it was very nice to not cook for a change (hehe)... and I am pretty positive we smelled up our little neighborhood like some yummy smokin ribs!

9 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

Man...I wish I could've been down there...I LOVE ribs...not an easy thing with a wife who is a veggie head ;)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I too love the pork and I'm now interested in the potatoes you did.

I'm suprised there wasn't a long line of neighbors at your back door.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm....... Ribs!!!

Isn't that the last of the home brew? Time to cook up some more!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ribs and beer...what could be better? The potatos sound good, I love roasted potatos.

5:18 PM  
Blogger maltese parakeet said...

d'oh! i made baked potatoes for dinner tonite. i wish i would have read this _before_ i cooked dinner!

12:41 AM  
Blogger The Culinary Chase said...

Gee, that does sound good! Does it make a big taste difference if the beer is ale, lager etc.? I'll have to try that next time I'm craving ribs! Cheers!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know they say you are your own worst critic but it has been a long while since I've cooked these.

The addition of the rub, from my normal method, definitely kicked it up a notch to use a worn out phrase.

I personally like to use a darker beer because it tends to have a stronger flavor but I'm sure any beer works well.

Note to self though, allow more time to boil (or roast!) and start grilling before dusk with more than an almost empty gas tank for the BBQ.

I have a few ideas for a variation next time but I'll keep you salivating for that one! LOL ;)

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Dave, you could do like i do....

Own 4 propane tanks and rotate those suckers!!!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.

Lea forgot to mention that the baste I was using at grilling time was a store bought Jack Daniels variety.

So we had three layers of flavors going on from (1) the dry rub, (2) the beer bath, and (3) the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce to give it a sweeter finish.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Next time I'll do my internationally famous (by that I mean - England, Canada and United States) wing recipe I think!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home